I’ve been in a funk recently.
I haven’t been as upbeat and outgoing as I usually am, I haven’t been excited to get out and explore, I haven’t been wanting to blog, and there have been days when I didn’t even want to get out of bed. I’ve been low-key and keeping to myself, which is definitely not the norm for me since I’m ALWAYS out and about.
I know that it happens to everyone every now and again. We all have our ups and downs, but the key is not to get too caught up in the negative. So here are 5 ways that I uplift my spirits and get back to my happy self:
- Write it out. Writing is actually one of my favorite ways to de-stress and clear my mind. I pull out my journal and I just begin writing. Don’t think, just write about whatever your heart tells you to write. You can be completely true and honest, and you are your only audience. When you write, you release all of the things that are bothering you and you just feel so much lighter and happier once it’s all out.
- Vent: I know that I said that you shouldn’t dwell on the negative, but sometimes you just have to get together with your girls and have a good venting session. It can be extremely fun and therapeutic. Plus, it feels great to be able to be open and honest with your friends and can be reaffirming to know that you’re not the only one who feels this way.
- Do something nice for yourself: Treating myself to something nice almost always improves my mood. Give yourself a mani/pedi, get a massage, buy a cute dress or some makeup, get your hair done, take yourself to the movies. The list is endless. But whatever you do, make sure that it’s for you and is something that you really enjoy.
- Get out of the house. It’s easy to be down when all you do is stay in the bed. Force yourself to get up and get out of the house, even if it’s just for 10 minutes. Take a stroll around your neighborhood. Walk through the park. Go to the store for your favorite ice cream. Go for a jog if you’re into that kind of thing. (I’m not, but hey, it might work for you.) Just get out.
- Read some inspiring material. Sometimes in helps to immerse yourself in stories of positivity. It may help you get out of your own head, and even realize some things about yourself that you didn’t know. I just finished reading Shonda Rhimes’ “Year of Yes” and am beginning to get into “The Happiness Project.” What are some inspiring books that you are reading. Let me know!
What are some things that you do to improve your spirit and get out of your funk? Comment below!