Happy New Year everyone!!!
Now, I’m soo not the person to do the whole “New Year, New Me” ish. I don’t think that it’s worth my time to make resolutions that I know damn well I’m not going to keep. I do, however, like to make goals for the year so that I can be productive and have things to work towards as the year progresses.
Since I’m living in Korea now, I decided to tailor my goals towards getting the most out of my experience here. And because I love lists, I decided to list 5 goals that I want to achieve so that I can have the best time in Korea. These are in no particular order, so here we go!
1. Travel around Korea more. Seoul is awesome, and I really enjoy it. But I know that there’s much more to Korea than just Seoul. Although I’ve been to Jinju for the Lantern Festival and Namhae Island for Oktoberfest, I want to take more weekend trips to other cities and explore!! I’m already in Korea, so it’s super easy for me to get around and see other things. I feel like every city has it’s charm, even if you’re way out in the country. So if I have any friends in other parts of Korea, hit a chick up so we can go explore!!! LOL
2. Practice using my Korean. Here’s the thing. I actually take Korean classes twice a week and I can understand much more Korean than I can say. The problem is that when I’m out and about and going about my daily life, I tend to fall back on speaking English OR I don’t use all of the Korean that I know because I feel like I sound silly. But I need to get over that. The only way my Korean is going to get better is if I actually use it. So, I’m going to make more of an effort to actually use the Korean that I’ve learned.
3. Take trips to other parts of Asia. I know that I’ve only been in Korea for four months so I kind of have an excuse for not doing this yet. But the “honeymoon period” is ending, and I’m starting to want to venture out more and see other places. Plus, there are a bunch of cool places that I could visit that wouldn’t be that expensive. Thailand, Japan, Philippines, China, the list goes on and on. I’m already planning on going on a trip during Spring Break, so hopefully I’ll be able to accomplish this pretty soon!
4. Keep in touch with friends and family at home. I’m not going to lie, I’m kind of the worst at this. I literally have not logged into Skype once in the 4 months that I’ve been in Korea, and this is a shame. I’ve been blessed to have great people in my life and I have to make more of an effort to contact them, even if it’s just a quick call to see how they’re doing. These people were incredibly helpful in getting me here, and I’d hate to lose them because of the distance. So, expect some calls and texts people!!
5. Do more cultural activities. If you know me, then you know that I really enjoy going out and having a great time. But I want to make an effort to go and do more cultural activities as well. Although I’ve done a few of these things while I’ve been here, like trying on a hanbok and going to visit some of the palaces, there’s still so much more to see and do besides partying all the time. This year, I want to make more of an effort to do and see things that I could only do and see in Korea. Shout out to me for already getting started on this. I’m going to a Korean cooking class later today!!
What are your goals for the New Year?? Do you have similar goals as well? Comment below!!